The Mother of TOFARM, Dr. Milagros O. How is a fervent advocate for the advancement of Philippine Agriculture and giving recognition to the country’s heroes: the farmer.
She holds a bachelor’s degree in Biology from the University of the Philippines – Diliman. Due to her outstanding contributions in uplifting the lives of Filipino farmers, she was conferred a doctorate degree in Humanities, Honoris Causa, by the Angeles University Foundation in 2013. In her continuous pursuit of further knowledge in the field of agriculture, Dr. How is currently studying Agriculture, major in Soil Science at the University of the Philippines, Los Baños.
Dr. How is currently the President/CEO of Universal Harvester(universalharvester.com), Incorporated, a leading manufacturer, distributor, and exporter of organic and inorganic fertilizer in the Philippines. As a businesswoman, she has had remarkable accomplishments in the chemical, fertilizer, shipping, food, and travel industries.
She has spearheaded various projects that have truly improved the lives of 8 million Filipino farmers. Some of these projects were the establishment of several training programs, agriculture scholarships, local and international study tours, advocacies, TOFARM Film Festival, Technology Advancements, farmer communities empowerment, research programs on crops fertilization method.
Adding to these is being the founder of TOFARM, the Philippines’ most prestigious recognition body for The Outstanding Farmers of the Philippines; which also paved way to other award-giving bodies wherein the arts (photography, movie, and music) celebrate Philippine agriculture – The TOFARM Photo and Infomercial Contest, TOFARM Film Festival and TOFARM Songwriting Competition.
Achievements and Recognitions:
- Doctor of Humanities, Honoris Causa, conferred by the Angeles University Foundation (AUF), May 2013
- 2013 Woman Entrepreneur of the Year - Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Philippines ( October 16, 2013; Rizal Ballroom, Makati Shangri-La Hotel)
- Woman Starpreneur 2014 - Philippine Center for Entrepreneurship "Go Negosyo" (March 2014)
- 2014 Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards (APEA), Outstanding Category (November 2014)
- 2015 Asia Responsible Entrepreneurship Awards (AREA), Social Empowerment Category (June 19, 2015; Macau, China)
- Special Award by the Philippine Regulatory Board of Chemical Engineering - Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) for her valuable contribution of eight (8) chemical manufacturing plants to the Industry (June 21, 2015)
- 2016 Class of Ernst and Young Entrepreneurial Winning Women (May 9-12, 2016; Shanghai, China)
- Panelist, International CSR Summit 2016 (AREA) - Smart Partnership - The Role of The Public and Private Sectors in Institutionalising Sustainability (June 24, 2016; Resorts World, Sentosa, Singapore)
- Gawad Kaagapay Awardee of Landbank of the Philippines (August 10, 2016; Diamond Hotel, Manila)
- Entrepreneur of the Year in the Agriculture Industry - Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards (APEA) 2016 (December 1, 2016; Dusit Hotel, Thani, Makati City)
- World Peace Advocate Awardee of Rotary Club, District 3830 (February 23, 2017; Sofitel, Manila)
- Honorary Adopted Daughter of Banaue Ifugao by the people and Local Government Unit of Banaue (April 28, 2017 ; Banaue, Ifugao)
- UPAA Distinguished Alumna Award in Corporate Social Responsibility (August 19, 2017; Ang Bahay ng Alumni Diliman, Quezon City)
- Top CSR Advocates in Asia - Asia Corporate Excellence & Sustainability Awards (ACES) (October 26, 2017; InterContinental Hotel, Singapore)
- Awardee of the Hibiscus Centennial Series for the Women In Social Entrepreneurship Awards of University of the Philippines Los Baños “Hibiscus Rosa-Sinesis” (Dr. Milagros O. How) February 9, 2018
- Natatanging Pangkalikasan Award for the production of the film “High Tide” Guild of Educators, Mentors and Students (March 5, 2018; Parañaque)